Home > Community, Events, Free, Residents > Missing the Olympics already? Run Devon is starting in Exeter!
Missing the Olympics already? Run Devon is starting in Exeter!
Hot off the back of successful launches elsewhere in the county, the Run Devon project is launching a number of new running groups in the Exeter area. The groups are specifically for beginners or people returning to running and offer a fun and friendly way to get involved, motivation throughout from experienced and qualified leaders and welcomes runners of all ages, fitness levels and aspirations.
Active Devon in partnership with Run England are co-ordinating the project that aims to inspire over a thousand new beginner runners across the county following a successful funding application to Sport England earlier this year.
Daniel Pulsford, Run Devon co-ordinator said “this is a really exciting project that has enabled people to join a group in their community and take their first steps towards being more active. Feedback from the groups we have already set up has been that the groups are fun, informal groups and allow everyone the chance to jog or run at their own pace.”
Tavy Joggers are one such group who within the first few weeks saw their runner numbers swell to 30 each week. Having all started from scratch, a number of the runners are proud to be in the position of now running 4km and five of the group enjoyed themselves so much they progressed on into a local running club.
Five new running groups are starting up in Exeter over the coming weeks, specifically designed to be suitable for new adult runners inspired by the Olympic Games – or anyone who wants to improve their fitness.
Three of the groups are for people who are not only beginner runners, but are perhaps new to physical activity or sport:
• St Leonards Beginners – Tuesday evenings from 18th Sept. Starts 6:00pm. Meet at County Hall (by entrance to car park, Topsham Road). Contact Dave Pressley 07974 554842
• Whipton Beginners – Wednesday evenings from 19th Sept. Starts 6:00pm. Meet at Exeter Arena. Contact Dave Pressley 07974 554842
• Wonford Beginners– Tuesday mornings from 25th Sept. Starts 09:00am. Meet at the Wonford Leisure Centre (car park). Contact Dave Phillips 07868 494168
• Run for Fun with Exeter City FC – Thursday evenings from 27th Sept. Starts 6.30pm. Meet at the St James Park. Contact Jamie Vittles 01932 255611
There is also a group for people new to running, but who maybe already engage in some sort of regular exercise
• St Thomas Improvers – Monday evenings from 17th Sept. Starts 7:00pm. Meet outside the Prospect Inn on the Quay – contact John Caswell 01392 662823
For more information about the groups please contact the group leader. For more information about other running groups in your area please visit www.activedevon.org/runninggroups.